The 535i is powered by a turbocharged 3-liter six-cylinder good for 302 horsepower. Rear-drive models come with a standard six-speed manual transmission, although most buyers choose the available eight-speed automatic. The auto is mandatory with the optional xDrive all-wheel drive system.
The 535i starts out with 18-inch wheels, 10-way power leather seats with driver memory, adjustable driving settings, wood interior trim, a sunroof, navigation, Bluetooth phone and audio, and a 10-speaker sound system with CD and HD radio.
There are three optional trim lines this year:
- Luxury: Adds chrome grille bars, 19-inch multi-spoke wheels, a sport steering wheel, chrome door handles and rear bumper strip, and special interior trim choices.
- Modern: Same as above, but with matte aluminum grille bars and no bumper strip.
- M Sport: Carries a sport suspension, an aerodynamic body kit, double-spoke 19-inch wheels and specific M Sport trim.
Any model can be equipped with a number of option packages:
- Premium: Gets you a hands-free power trunk lid, keyless access to all doors and satellite radio.
- Cold Weather: Provides heated front and rear seats and a heated steering wheel.
- Lighting: Adds full LED adaptive headlights with automatic high-beam control.
- Driver Assistance Plus: Includes blind-spot and lane-departure warning systems, side- and top-view cameras, and collision mitigation with pedestrian detection.
- Dynamic Handling: Firms up the suspension with adaptive dampers and stabilizer bars.
- Luxury Seating: Adds multi-contour seats with front ventilation and massage.
There’s also a vast selection of individual options, including adaptive cruise control, an automated parallel parking system, infrared night vision, four-zone climate control and a Bang & Olufsen sound system.