2014 Mitsubishi Outlander GT CarsDirect Review
The Mitsubishi Outlander is a compact crossover that has what many competitors do not--an available V6 and standard third-row seating.
Pricing and Equipment
Our top-of-the-line Mitsubishi Outlander GT (MSRP $27,795) came with an array of standard features like automatic HID headlights, automatic dual-zone climate control, heated front seats, hill start assist and a rearview camera
The only option on our Cool Silver Metallic test car was an expensive Touring Package ($6,100) that included:
- Lane Departure Warning and Forward Collision Mitigation
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Leather upholstery
- Premium stereo system
- Power driver's seat
- Power liftgate
Including destination, our Outlander 3.0 GT S-AWC retailed for $34,720.
(Pricing for the entry-level Outlander ES, with a four-cylinder engine and front-wheel drive, begins at $22,995.)
- The V6 engine is an increasingly rare option in the compact class, and the Outlander's delivers a relaxed 224 horsepower without the buzziness of turbochargers. It isn't a fast car, but there's plenty of torque and the Outlander moves with authority in most situations.
- Mitsubishi engineers dialed in soft settings for the suspension and steering— this priority on comfort has a pleasing Buick-like quality that will likely please its target audience.
- That soft tuning also makes the Outlander feel like a more substantial vehicle than it is—in a good way. It drives solidly, like a vehicle with larger exterior dimensions.
- Because of its soft suspension and steering settings, the Outlander resists quick turns and spirited driving styles.
- Don't expect to achieve the EPA city rating of 20 mpg if you aren't gentle with the gas pedal. We saw mileage in the mid-teens.
- Although not at the quality level of a Lexus, the leather upholstery and wood trim gave our test car an upscale feel.
- The third row is cramped, admittedly, and we didn't even try to get back there. But it's a third row that many competitors simply don't have. If you want the convenience of transporting your children and their friends in a single trip, those two extra seats may be a logistical godsend.
- With its extra length, and two rows of split folding seats, the Outlander has plenty of versatile cargo space.
- Outward visibility is excellent.
- The seats are flat and left some of us sore after only a few hours of driving.
- The navigation system seemed more like an aftermarket unit than original manufacturer equipment.
- One tester thought the reach for the low-mounted gearshift felt less premium than expected at this price point.
Most Pleasant Surprise
Least Pleasant Surprise
- Lane Departure Warning alerts the driver when the Outlander drifts out of its lane.
- Forward Collision Mitigation sounds the alarm when braking will avoid imminent impact with other vehicles or objects.
Unfortunately, the settings were far too sensitive for a city like Los Angeles with lots of traffic and roads in various stages of disrepair or construction. The 405 freeway and Sunset Boulevard sent both systems—erroneously—into a state of near-constant alarm.
The Bottom Line
Build and price your dream Mitsubishi Outlander in just a few easy steps.
|Build & Price|
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander$29,900 | 9,302 mi
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander$29,900 | 7,477 mi
2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport$15,590 | 37,805 mi
2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport$17,000 | 8,330 mi
2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport$18,280 | 10,580 mi
2013 Mitsubishi Outlander$19,878 | 25,032 mi
2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport$19,990 | 11,776 mi
2012 Mitsubishi Outlander$17,000 | 24,250 mi
2012 Mitsubishi Outlander$17,500 | 42,516 mi
2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport$18,243 | 25,990 mi
2012 Mitsubishi Outlander$18,595 | 24,558 mi
2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport$18,800 | 14,287 mi
2012 Mitsubishi Outlander$18,990 | 35,529 mi
2012 Mitsubishi Outlander$19,990 | 36,702 mi
2012 Mitsubishi Outlander$20,695 | 51,715 mi
2012 Mitsubishi Outlander$21,490 | 5,220 mi
2012 Mitsubishi Outlander$25,990 | 10,968 mi
2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport$10,900 | 78,339 mi
2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport$14,689 | 41,248 mi
2011 Mitsubishi Outlander$16,900 | 83,871 mi
2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport$16,995 | 55,012 mi
2011 Mitsubishi Outlander$17,450 | 34,764 mi
2011 Mitsubishi Outlander$18,000 | 46,400 mi
2011 Mitsubishi Outlander$20,829 | 53,405 mi
2011 Mitsubishi Outlander$20,891 | 44,348 mi
2010 Mitsubishi Outlander$13,495 | 56,974 mi
2009 Mitsubishi Outlander$13,495 | 43,073 mi
2008 Mitsubishi Outlander$13,200 | 85,861 mi