In the world of luxury car navigation, connectivity and entertainment features, Audi currently leads the pack. Its Multi Media Interface (MMI) system with available MMI Navigation Plus integrates audio, navigation, climate controls and other key functions into an easy-to-use interface, even including a touchpad with handwriting recognition for alphanumeric entry. The hot new Audi Connect platform features a dedicated in-car high-speed data connection allowing cloud-connected features like Google Earth Maps that make other navigation system maps look dull and cartoonish by comparison. Better still is a WiFi hotspot for all your devices, though the Audi Connect service requires a monthly data fee ($30 for now) after the 6-month trial period expires.
- MMI / MMI Navigation Plus / Audi Connect
- The latest MMI infotainment system gains a touchpad with handwriting recognition.
- Audi’s freshly minted Audi Connect platform integrates the MMI Navigation Plus navigation system with new Google-sourced features, like Google Earth Maps with overhead high-resolution satellite overhead imagery, perspective view with 3D rendered buildings and integrated SIRIUS Traffic, plus Google Voice Local Search.
- Standard Audi stereo systems are fully integrated with MMI and feature advanced connection features.
- Audi models are available with Bose Surround Sound Systems or Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound Systems, though usually only on higher trim levels. The 1300-watt Bang & Olufsen system is a $5,900 option in the A6.
- Interface: MMI joystick/touchpad , voice control.
- Available inputs: USB/iPod with full iPod control via MMI. Auxiliary input 3.5-mm, SD card slot.
- Other features: SIRIUS/XM and HD Radio, Bluetooth streaming audio, on-board hard drive
- Screens: Dual 10-inch screen rear seat entertainment system (A8).
- DVD/Blu-Ray Capability: DVD
- Back Up Cameras: Standard with MMI on many models.
- Video game consoles supported: N/A
- Mobile/Rolling hotspot: Factory-option mobile hotspot for up to 8 WiFi-enabled devices requires Audi Connect service through Audi’s cellular provider. Trial subscription given with purchase; customer needs to make arrangements with cellular data provider after end of trial to continue accessing on-board data.
- Official Name: Audi MMI Navigation Plus
- Price Range: Standard on most higher trim levels, around $2,000 as option, unavailable on many base models.
- Interface: Full-color LCD, MMI joystick controller, touch pad, voice control
- Features: Google Earth integrated (models with Audi Connect), real-time traffic and weather, points of interest, news, sports scores
- Number of Vehicles the featuring Navigation Package: All Audi models. Features vary by model.
- Quattro AWD as part of Audi’s far-reaching ESC stability control system makes a potent combo for winter driving safety.
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Bluetooth cell integration is available on every Audi model, though it is optional on some base models.