Mercedes-Benz' COMAND interface is similar to BMW's iDrive and Audi's MMI, using a toggle stick to control navigation, entertainment, climate control and connectivity systems in a well-integrated package. The voice-controlled navigation system is one of the best around, with perspective-view maps with 3D rendered buildings and topography, plus points of interest and dynamic traffic rerouting. Audio systems are on par with or better than other top systems from the likes of Acura, Porsche and Infiniti, with plentiful audio source support and startling quality. Where Mercedes-Benz falls behind Audi and BMW, and even Ford and Toyota, is in data connectivity and smartphone integration.
Navigation/Infotainment Package Specific to Manufacturer
Mercedes-Benz’s COMAND interface controls everything from navigation to audio, climate control and calling using a well-implemented control stick on the dash. Though it doesn’t feature the leading-edge smartphone-data-connected apps of systems like Toyota Entune, COMAND offers advanced features, especially for navigation.
- Standard stereo systems are notoriously high-quality, while Mercedes-Benz offers harman/kardon LOGIC7 Surround Sound premium audio systems as options, standard on some higher-end models. S-Class is available with 1,200-watt 15-speaker Bang & Olufsen ultra-premium system.
- Interface: COMAND dial, hardware buttons for key functions
- Speakers: harman/kardon systems feature at least 500 watts of power and 11-15 speakers.
- Available inputs: USB/iPod with fully integrated iPod control, auxiliary audio 3.5-mm, SD card, Bluetooth A2DP streaming audio,
- Other features: 10GB onboard music storage, Gracenote music tagging, HD radio, satellite radio
- Screens: Dual 7-inch-screen rear entertainment system (SUV, large sedan and crossover models), plus the ability to watch DVDs on the COMAND screen.
- DVD/Blu-Ray Capability: DVD
- Back Up Cameras: Standard or optional on all models.
- Video game consoles supported: Portable consoles
- Input jacks: A/V (discrete for each screen), auxiliary in
- Mobile/Rolling hotspot: N/A
- Smartphone-based data connection: N/A
- Official Name: COMAND Navigation System
- Price Range: $2,790-$4,000. Standard on several models.
- Interface: Hard drive-based, COMAND dial with hardware shortcut buttons for common functions, voice control
- Features: 3D perspective-view maps with 3D rendered buildings and topography, real-time traffic with dynamic rerouting, real-time weather, Zagat restaurant ratings
- Available On: All 2012 Mercedes-Benz models, features vary by model.
- Adaptive Cruise Control maintains preset distance with car ahead, even capable of bringing the car to a full stop.
- Lane departure warning and intervention system
- All 2012 Mercedes-Benz models feature standard Bluetooth hands-free phone integration with voice control.