When it comes to relocating your favorite auto, car transport or shipping options can be the right solution for you. However, for those on a limited budget, it's best to figure out how to work this cost into the overall final cost of a relocation. Here are some ways to save additional money on auto transport, whether you're going across the state, across the country or even abroad.
- Look at Uncovered Transport Options – Many who are using car shipping services pay extra money to get a spot in a covered car hauler. This may be the right solution for cars with high Blue Book value that an owner may keep under a car cover in inclement weather to protect the finish. However, if your car has are ready been exposed to the elements, covered transport may not be necessary, and utilizing a simple uncovered service can save you money.
- Choose Reasonable Car Shipping Insurance – Insurance is one of the major factors in cost when it comes to auto transport. Even though it's just a one-time insurance policy, this kind of coverage can get pricey if drivers select default options filled with all kinds of extras and inflated insurance values. In order to get bottom dollar for your car shipping insurance, know the Blue Book value of your vehicle, and ask for an itemized breakdown of what the shipping insurance covers. Skipping some of the extras or dialing insurance value down to what is reasonable may save you additional money on your car transport agreements.
- Use Simple "Roll On Roll Off" Services – While some auto transport services specialize in bringing your vehicle directly to your door, others take advantage of economies of scale, hauling several vehicles with the same trailer, and rolling them directly off of that trailer at or near their destination. Using the simpler, scaled down services can save you a lot of dollars, even if it's not quite as convenient.
- Shop Around – Looking at different car transport services will give you a better idea of what they generally charge, and where you can get the most value for the least money.
- Find Informal Single Driver Services – Another way to scale down your car transport is to informally hire someone you know and trust to drive your vehicle to its destination. This will just involve the cost of gas and hourly labor, and even with the cost savings of some multi-car transport services, it may be your cheapest option.
These are just some of the pointers that experienced car shippers give to others involved in scouting out deals for a bargain relocation anywhere in the world. For international moves, it can also help to do intensive research on customs and other specific international issues to find the best priced option for getting your car shipped. Look for more helpful hints on online forums and other web venues where past customers post what they have learned in their moving experiences.