Tips on Buying Car Insurance OnlineFirst, have all of your information on hand when buying car insurance online. You do not want to get in the middle of a quote and find that you do not know the answer to an important question. This information includes:
- The make, model, and year of the car that you are going to insure.
- The car’s VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) number. This can be found etched into a plate on the dashboard or on some car doors.
- The ages of any drivers that will be using the vehicle.
- The estimated number of miles you will drive in a year. This can be broken down into how many miles that you drive a week. If you are a first-time driver, calculate the miles to and from work, miles used for running errands, and any extra miles that you might drive for recreational purposes. You don’t need an exact number, just an approximate range, e.g., 200 miles per week.
Reputable Online Car Insurance CompaniesWhen obtaining car insurance quotes online remember to ask for the same types of coverage for every quote so that you can have a fair comparison. The following are a few well-known, reputable car insurance companies that you can obtain a car insurance quote from, to help get you started.
- American Automobile Association (AAA)
- Geico Direct
- State Farm
Comparing Car Insurance CompaniesA website you should visit to comparison shop between auto insurance companies is Insweb.com. This site allows you to compare insurance quotes head-to-head.
When you finally decide on a particular policy, the insurance companies usually accept several forms of payment: credit card, cash or check. Additionally, you can make the payments monthly, every six months, or annually. If you choose to make the payment in one lump sum (annually), you stand to save some money. Check with the company for any discounts for annual payments.