Calculating your Virginia Car Tax can be a very easy task to do. Depending on the county and city you live in, there will be different tax rates for each area. Some higher, some lower.
- Virginia taxes your automobiles every year as a property tax. This will depend upon the value of the car at the first of the year. This will be a continuous tax to figure in your costs.
- Vehicle sales and use tax is 3% of the sale price. So if your car costs you $25,000, you multiply that by 3% to get your tax amount of $750.00
- With this PDF you can determine all the other taxes and fees that you will incur while purchasing your car. This is a good way to know what you are going to be paying up front with no surprises. (https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/dmv201.pdf)
- In certain counties or cities there will be a tax that others do not have. In Virginia there are also inspections that you have to go through each year to keep your car registered. You also need a county sticker and you get this when you pay your county taxes.
- Your license fee is based upon the type if car or truck you drive.
Although the tax rates are cheaper in Virginia, with all the other fees and stickers and inspections that you have to get to maintain the legality of your car, it adds up fast. So be sure that the car you are buying is something you can afford to maintain each year by taking the time to do your calculations before you buy.