If you are in the market for a car, but cannot afford a brand new vehicle, you have the option of buying a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) car instead of buying a used-car. Though there are similarities between buying a used car and a CPO, however the differences are significant.
For those who may not be able to afford a new GMC, but want to be behind the wheel of a reliable, solid vehicle, a CPO sold by GMC comes with the uncompromised standards of a brand new GMC. All GMC CPO vehicles are less than five years old and have less than 75,000 miles. GMC offers a 3-day/150 mile customer satisfaction guarantee which is a money back or exchange guarantee.
GMC Certification Standards & Inspection
In addition to the stringent GMC quality regulations each GMC CPO is guaranteed to be a well-maintained, late-model GMC. GMC technicians put every CPO vehicle through a 117-point inspection and a CARFAX Vehicle History Report review.
A GMC CPO vehicle inspection includes, but is not necessarily limited to:
- Road Test- This checks the vehicles history, safety campaigns, owners manual, seat belts, air bags, mirrors, lights, gauges, engine operation and performance, transmission, clutch, braking system, traction control, steering wheel and alignment, body and chassis integrity, HVAC, horn, speedometer and odometer, windshield wipers, cruise control and transfer case.
- Functional-Doors, locks, seats and child seating, interior and exterior lights, all knobs and release levers, windows, alarm system, navigation and audio system, ONSTAR (if applicable), keys, luggage compartment to include spare tire and tools, convertible or sunroof (if applicable) and options and accessories.
- Under Hood-Includes all engine components, leaks, electrical system, radiator, fan, hoses, filters, power steering, fuel, vacuum and ignition systems, A/C compressor and all belts.
- Under Vehicle-This portion of the check includes the frame, exhaust system, brake pads and shoes, calipers, rotors and drums, tires and wheels, struts, control arms, steering/linkage, axles, driveline, suspension system, gear and parking brake cable.
- Exterior-This includes bumpers, fenders, doors, grille, trunk, roof, all glass and wheels, wheel covers, trim rings and center caps
- Interior-Instrument panel, all seats and head rests, upholstery and trim, console, glove compartment, floor mats, visors and luggage compartment including spare tire and tools.
- Maintenance-Lube and oil change, filter replacement, inspection of all filters, fluid replenishment, state and local emission and diagnostic codes and fuel tank fill-up.
- Interior and Exterior Detailing-A complete cleaning that includes upholstery, instrument panel, carpet, trunk, glass, exterior minor surface scratches, tar removal and a thorough wash and wax.
GMC takes its CPO vehicle inspections very seriously and minute details are of the most importance. If it is a GMC Hybrid CPO, the battery, battery energy control module and starter/generator control module are inspected, in addition to the other points of CPO vehicle inspection.
GMC CPO Vehicle Warranty
A GMC CPO vehicle Powertrain Limited Warranty is valid for 12-month/12,000 mile and includes a comprehensive bumper-to-bumper warranty for all 2004-2009 GM Certified Vehicles with no deductible. Beyond the new car warranty, GMC offers a 12-month/12,000 mile comprehensive Mechanical Coverage and 24-month/64,000 mile Powertrain on 2-4-3006 models. GM also has an extended Protection Plan Mechanical and Maintenance Coverage and time/mileage options from 6-months/6,000 miles to 84-month/84,000 miles.
GMC CPO vehicles have a 5-year/100,000 mile 24 hour roadside assistance warranty and about 4,000 participating GM dealers in the US.
For a full list of components (and additional details) that are covered or excluded from the GMC CPO warranty, visit: GM Certified | Powertrain Warranty - Used Car Warranty.
Financing a GMC CPO Vehicle
When financing any vehicle, the buyer has a few options. A bank, credit union, or online finance company can help you with the financing. However, GMC CPO vehicle financing is comparable to new car terms and finance rate. GMC offers APR specials and incentives and Intelliprice comparisons; therefore GMC CPO vehicle owners are eligible for the same low interest rates and longer terms as new car owners.
GMAC offers an online Certified Pre-Owned Finance Affordability Calculator for GMC's at: GM Certified | Vehicle Affordability Calculator - Buying Used Car for 12-60 months and a user-friendly, quick and easy finance approval application.