American hybrid cars are making huge strides in their quest to catch up with the most popular Japanese models. While the Toyota Prius is still the undisputed king of hybrids, there are a number of American-designed and built hybrids that are nearly as fuel efficient as the Prius. Below is list of just some of the American hybrids now available.
1. 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid - The new Ford Fusion hybrid manages 41 mpg in the city and 36 on the highway making it the most fuel efficient American built car. The Ford Fusion is a mid-size vehicle that has gotten rave reviews for both how it drives as well as it upscale interior.
2. Ford Escape Hybrid - The Ford Escape is the probably the most popular SUV hybrid. It won the environmentally friendly truck of the year and has won awards for both its design and smooth ride. It is available in three trim levels and a four wheel drive system is optional. The Escape gets 34 mpg city and 31 highway.
3. Mercury Mariner - The Mariner is built on the same frame as the Ford Escape and manages the same 34 mpg city and 31 mpg highway. It is available in 4 trim levels and comes with a 2.5 litre engine.
4. Saturn Vue Hybrid - The Saturn Vue Hybrid gets a respectable 27 city 30 highway and is available as a front wheel drive with a 2.4 litre engine. While GM has recently agreed to sell Saturn to Penske, things should stay pretty much the same for current Saturn owners. The Vue is a bit cheaper then the competitors but is also ranked a bit lower on most ratings.
5. Chevrolet Malibu - General Motors recently halted production on this vehicle but there are still some 2009 models on the lots. It gets a barely respectable 26 mpg in the city and 34 mpg out on the highway. The Malibu is a good looking mid-size sedan with a sharp interior. There is only one trim level available on the remaining Malibus.
6. Saturn Aura - General Motors also cancelled production on this vehicle as well. It lagged behind other hybrids with a lackluster 26 mpg in the city and 34 highway mpg. The acceleration was not impressive but it is a fairly stylish car. There are a few left on dealer lots but they are hard to come by and will soon be completely unavailable.
7. Chevrolet Tahoe - The Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid is one of the larger SUV hybrids. While the 21 mpg in the city and 22 highway mpg is hardly impressive by hybrid standards, it does rate pretty well for a full size SUV.
8. GMC Yukon 1500 - The Yukon gets the same mileage as the Tahoe; an unimpressive 21 mpg in the city and 22 on the highway. It is a full size SUV that sports some green badges but it is not much different then the gas version.
America is building more hybrids as the demand for them grows. A few of them are extremely competitive with their foreign counterparts. If you are in the market for a hybrid you should differently take a look at the latest American offerings.