There are some great cars for less than $5,000 dollars. You do not need to spend thousands and thousands of dollars. When you are looking for a car realize that you will not get a $15,000 car for $5,000. Most of these cars will also have higher mileage. Expect to see cars with 100,000 miles or more on the odometer. However, with some research and patience you can get a great, drivable car.
- Acura Integra GS-R 1994 to 2001: The engine has an 8,000 rpm max and the transmission easily keeps up with the engine whenever you shift. This is one of the best cars for handling and you can fit four people if necessary. It is tricky to find one in good shape and you should look for a dealer who confuses the GS-R with the OCD model. Go for the lowest mileage you can find, as the car design has not changed over the specified eight years.
- Chevrolet Camaro 1985 to 1994: This is a great car if you like fun driving as it has a 5.0 liter V8. The chassis on this fourth generation model is stiffer and the engine is more powerful. The power will be desirable by those that like to go fast. You should not have a problem finding this car for under $5,000, though the success really is based on how much time you have to look and your own preferences.
- Chevrolet Corvette 1984 to 1996: This car does not really age very well, but if you can find one at this price you are getting great value for the money. This will take a lot of time and patience and you need to realize the descriptions can be quite daunting. It will also have a lot of mileage and be very worn down. Avoid the ones that came out in 1987 and 1989, as the structure is very rigid and not desirable at all.
- Honda Civic 1992 to 1998: This car is a great economy vehicle with one of the best resale values around. This is a favorite for all, particularly if you want an affordable and reliable car. The Civic is very roomy, has excellent performance and a great chassis.
- Lincoln Mark VIII 1993 to 1998: This is your best shot for a luxury car for less than $5,000. The engine is the best and the automatic is very smooth. You can find this car at a very good price because the resale value is very low and can be found at much less than the original manufacturer sale price. This is the best choice for a 2 door coupe.
- Toyota Corolla 1998 to 2000: You will find Toyota Corollas everywhere as this is one of the best selling cars in the world. The Corolla has great fuel economy and will just keep running. All models have a four cylinder engine with 120 horsepower. You will find it in both automatic and manual transmissions. You can only find this car as a four door sedan. Realize that this car is not overly stylish, but you can rely on it getting you where you need to go.