BMW’s 5 Series has set the standard for mid-sized luxury sport sedans since the 1970s. The 550 model offers the largest and most powerful engine in the Series while retaining all of the luxury features that are a hallmark of the brand.
USED 2014 BMW 550 FOR SALE NEAR METhere are no vehicles within 100 miles of Please modify your search criteria.
2014 BMW 550 Overview
What's New for 2014
For the 2014 model year, the big news is the addition of the Luxury, Modern and M Sport trim lines. The new engine provides a 10-percent increase in power while also improving fuel efficiency. Exterior design details give the 550 a sportier appearance and adaptive LED headlights are a new option.
Choosing Your BMW 550
Your only engine choice is the 4.4-liter V8. Equipped with twin turbochargers, it is capable of 445 horsepower and 280 pound-feet of torque. An eight-speed automatic transmission offers sport and manual modes along with paddle shifters. The engine’s fuel-saving technology includes a regenerative braking system and an automatic start-stop function.
You will, however, need to choose either:
A new addition to the 5 Series for 2014, the three trim lines offer a choices primarily involving the sedan’s appearance.
- If you opt for the Luxury line, the Dakota leather now includes decorative stitching in two color options, and Nappa leather upholstery is also available in two colors. Two exclusive interior trims are also part of this trim package, as well as 18- or 19-inch light-alloy wheels and chrome grille bars.
- The Modern line also offers exclusive upholstery and interior trim choices and the two wheel choices. However, the grille bars now have an aluminum matte finish.
- With the M Sport line, sportier looks and functions are added to enhance the performance aspects of the 550. These include 19-inch wheels, an aerodynamic kit and a sport suspension. Special upholstery choices in Dakota or Nappa leather are also part of the package, as is plenty of M badging.
In addition, a number of individual and packaged options are available in all 550 models.
- The Cold Weather package adds heat to front and rear seats as well as the steering wheel.
- With the Individual Composition package you can choose from among several colors of Merino leather upholstery, add a custom-colored headliner and select 19-inch V-spoke wheels.
- The Executive package adds those touches that simplify life and create a sense of luxury. Features such as a head-up display, keyless entry and automatic soft-close doors accomplish this goal. Also included in this package is a Harman Kardon sound system or the additional option of a Bang & Olufsen system.
- The Driver Assistance Plus group includes such systems as lane-departure warning, blind-spot detection, and adaptive cruise control. There are also side- and top-view cameras and a system that monitors the driver’s attention level.
Many of the components of these packages are also available on an individual basis. Among those options that are not packaged are:
- A rear-seat DVD entertainment system with two 9.2-inch screens mounted in the front seatbacks
- A night-vision camera with pedestrian detection
- A power rear-window sunshade
Unless you live with inclement weather and need the traction, skip the added expense and weight of an all-wheel drive system. We'd choose a rear-wheel drive 550 with the M Sport's equipment.