The Navigator L is the long-wheelbase version of this full-size luxury SUV that is also capable of towing up to 9,000 pounds with the right towing equipment installed. The extra 12 inches in the wheelbase translates to expanded cargo capacity inside; space behind the third-row seat jumps from 18 to 42 cubic feet. Passenger space is nearly the same in both lengths, although occupants of the third row will find a bit more wiggle room in the L version.
What's New for 2014
The only change to the Navigator L for the 2014 models is the addition of a new exterior color called Riviera Sands Metallic.
Choosing Your Lincoln Navigator L
In keeping with its large size and high towing capacity, the Navigator L comes equipped with a flex-fuel 5.4-liter V8 that produces 310 horsepower and 365 pound-feet of torque, especially welcome for those heavy loads. A six-speed automatic transmission features overdrive lockout for those towing situations.
Rear-wheel drive is standard, but a four-wheel-drive system designed to increase traction on road surfaces rather than for off-road explorations is available. Fuel economy for the rear-wheel-drive model is estimated at 16 mpg in combined driving, while estimates for the 4X4 drop to 15 mpg.
The Navigator L offers buyers one well-equipped trim with several packages and standalone options that will help you personalize your new SUV. Among the standard features you can expect are a voice-activated navigation system, a THX II surround-sound audio system, heated and cooled front seats, a power-folding third-row bench seat and power-deployable running boards that automatically extend or retreat when you open or close the doors.
The lone standard feature that is designated just for the Navigator L is a cargo management system with dividers that allow you to sort, separate and secure various types of cargo.
Several appearance-oriented options are grouped into packages:
- Equipment Group 101A (Lincoln-speak for option package) features tan leather upholstery paired with an otherwise black interior, along with body-color exterior trim, special badging and a moonroof.
- The Monochrome Limited Edition package drops the moonroof from the above package
- The Monochrome Appearance package offers only the exterior components of Equipment Group 101A
Other options include:
- The moonroof by itself
- A second-row bench seat to replace the standard captain’s chairs. This increases seating capacity from seven to eight.
- A DVD entertainment system with dual headrest-mounted screens
- Polished aluminum 20-inch wheels
An overhaul of the Navigator L is expected in 2015, so dealers may be eager to move this year’s models off the lot—be sure to bargain.