The ActiveHybrid 3 comes as a rear-drive sedan with a hybrid power plant that's exclusive to this model. The turbocharged 3-liter six-cylinder and electric motor together produce 335 horsepower, 35 more than the regular six-cylinder 3 Series. An eight-speed automatic is the only transmission offered. Combined fuel economy comes in at 28 mpg, which may not sound too impressive for a hybrid, but you have to keep in mind that the ActiveHybrid 3 is the quickest model is the series, excluding the high-performance M3 variant of course. Increased power and efficiency are not mutually exclusive in this case. In fact, they move in lockstep.
You can adjust the character of your ActiveHybrid 3 with one of three optional design lines: Luxury, Sport and M Sport. Each gets its own wheel design, exterior styling tweaks and interior trim choices. The Sport and M Sport also get a firmer suspension and summer performance tires.
The ActiveHybrid 3 comes equipped like other six-cylinder 3 Series models, which means you get standard touches like adaptive xenon headlamps, a sunroof, LED accent lighting and 18-inch alloy wheels. The leatherette interior features power front seats with driver memory, wood trim and a split-folding rear seat. Other perks include automatic wipers, auto-dimming mirrors, Bluetooth phone and audio, and a nine-speaker sound system with HD radio.
- The Premium package (standard on the Luxury line) adds genuine leather upholstery, keyless ignition, a hands-free power trunk lid, additional power seat adjustments and satellite radio.
- With the Cold Weather package, you also get heated front and rear seats, a heated steering wheel and headlight washers.
- A navigation system is the centerpiece of the Technology package, which also includes a color head-up display, numerous smartphone apps and remote vehicle controls. A 16-speaker Harmon Kardon sound system is available separately.
- Turning to safety, the Driver Assistance package provides a rearview camera and front and rear parking sensors.
- The Driver Assistance Plus package augments that with a surround-view camera system, blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning and a front collision mitigation system. Adaptive cruise control and an automated parking system are standalone additions.
- For a nimbler feel, you can order the Dynamic Handling package with an adaptive suspension and automatic variable-ratio steering.
The ActiveHybrid 3 feels incomplete without the Premium package, which makes the interior altogether more inviting. The Driver Assistance package seems rather essential too, if only to protect your investment from parking lot mishaps.
Choose your BMW ActiveHybrid3 »