The M4 has plenty of available options, all the way up to exotic Merino leather and a moonroof. But this is one car where we’d let our traditionalist flag fly – a stock M4, manual transmission and all, would be our choice. If you need a little connectivity, Apple CarPlay is an easy $300.
The Competition Package is tempting, with enhanced steering and suspension plus larger wheels and an extra 19 horsepower. But the base setup has more performance than most drivers have bravery, and its personality is less twitchy. The convertible looks great but adds more than 500 pounds, and the huge optional carbon ceramic brakes work great but will devastate the wallet at servicing.
A regular coupe it is, then, though this is as exciting as “regular” gets. Ours looks like this:
- Model: 2018 BMW M4 Coupe
- Engine: 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged inline six-cylinder
- Output: 425 hp / 406 lb-ft
- Transmission: Six-speed manual
- Drivetrain: Rear-wheel drive
- Fuel Economy: 17 City / 25 Hwy
- Options: Metallic Paint ($550)
- Base Price: $69,695 (including a $995 destination charge)
- Best Value Price: $70,245