Pricing for the Chevrolet Bolt, before incentives, starts at $37,495 for an option-free LT, and can top $44,000 for a well-appointed Premier model finished in one of the optional paint shades. Not your typical compact, neither is the Bolt's standard feature set that includes the usual power features plus seventeen-inch alloy wheels, automatic LED headlights, automatic climate control, keyless push-button start, 10.2-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility, a 4G LTE wifi hotspot, satellite radio, Bluetooth, and a rearview camera.
Other than range, the Bolt EV's hook is affordability, so we'd opt for the LT over the Premier – although the downside is getting locked out of optional advanced safety features that include lane keep assist with lane departure warning, low speed automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection, forward collision alert, and automatic headlights with high-beam assist.
But a bare-bones LT is no fun – grab the two main option packages for goodies like blind-spot monitoring, heated front seats, and a heated steering wheel, among other stuff. We'd also recommend ponying up for DC fast charging capability, which allows owners to recharge their battery at a rate of around 30 miles for 90 minutes of charging.
As it's an electric vehicle, the Bolt EV is eligible for a $7,500 federal income-tax credit.
Here's how we'd build it:
- Model: 2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV LT
- Powertrain: Electric motor, 60-kWh lithium-ion battery pack
- Output: 200 hp / 266 lb-ft
- Drivetrain: Front-wheel-drive
- Range: 238 miles
- MPG: 128 City / 110 Hwy MPGe
- Recharge Time: 9.3 hours at 240 volts
- Options: Driver Confidence Package ($495, rear park assist, rear cross-traffic alert, blind spot detection with lane change alert), Comfort and Convenience Package ($555, auto-dimming inside rearview mirror, heated driver and front passenger seats, heated steering wheel, leather-wrapped steering wheel – required with Driver Confidence Package), DC Fast Charging Capability ($750)
- Base Price:$37,495 (including an $875 destination fee)
- Best Value Price:$39,295