If value’s your goal, then the LT trim is the version of the 2018 Sonic that we recommend. Not only does it come with the 1.4-liter turbocharged engine, but it also gets other desirable features like power windows and mirrors, cruise control, 15-inch alloy wheels, a six-speaker audio system, and more.
This trim also opens up the optional equipment, as it’s the lowest trim allowed access to the RS, Convenience, Driver Confidence, and Performance packages. For our budget, we recommend adding the Convenience and Driver Confidence packages, as they add a collection of safety and convenience features on the cheap. And stick with the standard six-speed manual – not only is it a lot more fun, but it saves $1,400.
The Sonic is still available in both four-door sedan and five-door hatch bodies, and while the hatchback's price is higher, the difference with the LT manual is only $100. That's an easy premium to live with for a vehicle that's so much roomier and attractive.
- Model: 2018 Chevrolet Sonic LT Manual Five-Door
- Engine: 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder
- Output: 138 hp / 148 lb-ft
- Transmission:6-speed manual
- Drivetrain: All-wheel-drive
- MPG: 28 city / 37 hwy
- Options: Convenience Package ($875, keyless entry and ignition, and six-way power front seats) and Driver Confidence Package ($495, rear parking sensors, forward collision alert, and lane-departure warning)
- Base Price:$18,595 ($875 destination fee included)
- Best Value Price:$19,965