Pricing begins at an even $30,000 for a 4x2 base trim V6 regular cab model and gets pricey at over $71,000 for a 4x4 Crew Cab Denali model loaded up with such niceties as the Denali Ultimate Package, rear seat entertainment, and Red Brembo Performance Front Brake kit.
Like the rest of the full-size pickup market, GMC Sierra 1500 buyers are faced with a bewildering array of options: 11 wheel designs, four trim levels, three bed lengths, three body styles, rear- and four-wheel-drive systems, and four engines (a 4.3-liter V6, a 5.3-liter V8, a 6.2-liter V8, and a mild hybrid – called eAssist – version of the 5.3-liter V8). A six-speed automatic is standard with the V6 and smaller V8. Optional on the smaller V8 and standard with the 6.2-liter V8 and models with eAssist is an eight-speed automatic.
Given its mission as an upmarket Chevy Silverado, we'd opt for the Sierra SLT trim with its standard 5.3-liter V8, automatic locking rear differential, and luxury touches that include leather seats (heated in front), a leather-wrapped steering wheel, remote start, LED taillights, power adjustable pedals, dual-zone automatic climate control, fog lights, and power-folding heated outside mirrors.
- Model: 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crew Cab, Short Box
- Engine: 5.3-liter V8
- Output: 355 hp / 383 lb-ft
- Transmission:Six-speed automatic
- Drivetrain: Four-wheel drive
- MPG: 16 City / 22 Hwy
- Options:Dark Slate Metallic ($395), Premium Package ($1,345, Bose audio system, 20-inch polished alloy wheels, six-inch chrome assist steps), Preferred Package ($795, front and rear park assist, heated steering wheel, power sliding rear window), Enhanced Driver Alert Package ($945, perforated leather front seats, lane keeping assist, automatic high beam headlights, low speed automatic emergency braking, forward collision warning, safety alert seat, wireless charging, heated steering wheel), Spray-on Bedliner ($495), Front Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats ($510, required with driver alert package), Heated and Ventilated Front Seats ($650, required with driver alert package).
- Base Price:$49,795 (including the $1,395 destination fee)
- Best Value Price:$54,535