The Q50 is a sports sedan, so we'd be kicking ourselves if we didn't go for the 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged V6. The Red Sport 400 may be a fantastic deal compared to the competition based on the ratio of horsepower-to-dollars alone, but nobody really needs 400 horsepower. Instead, we'd go for the standard 3.0-liter V6, with 300 horsepower to the rear wheels, continuing the Q50's lineage as a great alternative to the BMW 340i and its ancestors. Between the two 3.0t models, we'd go with the cheaper Luxe trim, as the Sport trim's interior isn't exactly inspiring.
As for options and packages, we lose access to the Performance Package by going with the Luxe, but we can also use the money we saved on some other packages like the Essential Package, which adds a lot of luxuries like a folding rear seat, navigation, voice-recognition, heated front seats and steering wheel, and a one-year subscription to the INFINITI InTouch vehicle service suite that operates like OnStar. We'd also spring for the Sensory Package, which requires us to also pay for the ProASSIST package with driver assistance features and INFINITI illuminated kick plates. While these packages bump the Q50's price up by almost $10,000, you'll still be paying less than you would for a base-level BMW 340i.
- Model: 2018 INFINITI Q50 3.0t Luxe
- Engine: 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged V6
- Output: 300 hp / 295 lb-ft
- Transmission: Seven-speed automatic
- Drivetrain: Rear-wheel drive
- Fuel Economy: 20 City / 29 Hwy
- Options: Essential Package ($2,650, navigation, voice recognition, INFINITI InTouch Services for 12 months, SiriusXM Traffic for four years, folding rear seat, remote engine start, heated steering wheel, heated front seats, power lumbar support for driver), Sensory Package ($2,950, Bose 16-speaker audio system, power adjustable steering wheel, advanced climate control system, memory for driver's seat, leather seating, auto dimming mirrors, ambient lighting), ProASSIST Package ($1,650, forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, blind-spot monitoring, 360-degree monitor, rear cross-traffic alert, rear collision sensors), INFINITI Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates ($465).
- Base Price: $40,145 (including a $995 destination charge)
- Best Value Price: $47,860