The Jaguar E-Pace's trim walk is complicated – a base model, S, and SE typify the mainstream P250, while the more powerful R-Dynamic featuring S, SE, and HSE variants. And for its first model year, there's even an E-Pace First Edition. The middling E-Pace SE P250 is the smartest buy, though, ringing up at a reasonable $45,295, a hearty $5,700 over the E-Pace's starting price but bringing plenty of gear along for the ride.
It features LED headlights with automatic high beams, plush leather upholstery, a 380-watt, 11-speaker audio system, a powered tailgate, and a few important active safety systems, like lane-keep assist and automatic emergency braking.
Unless your color choice is Fuji White, you’ll pay the $590 extra for one of seven metallic paint choices or $1,200 for a pair of high-end metallic colors. We chose the middle ground as it offers a wide selection of patinas. It's easy to elevate the E-Pace's price with upgraded leather upholstery, bigger wheels, and a classy black styling pack – avoid them if you can. Instead, we'd grab the heated, 14-way front seats, the head-up display and digital instrument cluster, the Cold Climate Package, and the 360-degree camera rig to get an E-Pace that is just a hair over $49,000 but that will satisfy the needs of 99.99 percent of owners.
- Model: 2018 Jaguar E-Pace SE P250
- Engine: 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder
- Output: 246 hp / 269 lb-ft
- Transmission: Nine-speed automatic
- Drivetrain: All-wheel drive
- MPG: 21 City / 27 Hwy
- Options: Metallic paint ($590), 14-way heated front seats with memory ($510), head-up display ($970), digital instrument cluster ($565), Cold Climate Package ($795, heated steering wheel, heated windshield, heated wiper jets, soft-grain leather steering wheel), 360-degree camera ($360)
- Base Price: $45,295 (including $995 destination charge)
- Best Value Price: $49,085