Jeep sells the Wrangler Unlimited in three trims – the budget-friendly $31,690 Sport, which doesn't even come with air conditioning as standard, the cushy, image-conscious $38,540 Sahara, and the highly capable $41,690 Rubicon. While we tested the Rubicon, the smart buy is the Sahara.
For a start, this trim adds a lot of the optional content from the Sport – the entire $3,200 Sport S Package, which includes stuff like air conditioning and power windows, and a seven-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility being the most notable – and also grants access to a few better options.
You'll want the LED Lighting Group, it costs $895 but replaces the horrible halogen headlights with far superior LED units. The $595 Cold Weather Package is a smart buy, adding heated front seats and a heated steering wheel, while the $895 Active Safety Package adds blind-spot monitoring and rear parking sensors. That's a lot of content for just under $2,400.
The Dual-Top Group is expensive at $2,195, but it makes a lot of sense if you live somewhere with four seasons – a hardtop can be a savior in the cold. But bear in mind, if you ever want to take the hardtop off, you'll need a place to store the big, rigid roof.
Enthusiasts and the frugal should grab the no-cost six-speed manual transmission, while everyone else needs to shell out $2,000 for the eight-speed automatic. Jeep will also offer a diesel engine and a 2.0-liter, gas-powered turbo four-cylinder later this year, but for now, the 3.6-liter V6 is the only available option and it's the one we've chosen.
- Model: 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
- Engine: 3.6-liter V6
- Output: 270 hp / 295 lb-ft
- Transmission:Six-speed manual
- Drivetrain: Four-wheel drive
- MPG: 17 City / 23 Hwy
- Options:LED Lighting Group ($895, LED headlights, running lights, fog lights, and taillights), Cold Weather Package ($595, heated front seats, heated steering wheel, remote start, engine block heater), Jeep Active Safety Group ($895, blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert, rear parking sensors), Dual-Top Group ($2,195, three-piece hardtop, black Sunrider softtop)
- Base Price:$38,540 (including the $1,195 destination charge)
- Best Value Price:$42,225