The LX manual Forte starts things off at $17,695, while the top SX manual hatchback checks in at $27,585 with options and finished in an extra-cost paint shade. Three engines are offered: LX and S sedans receive a 147-horsepower, 2.0-liter, Atkinson cycle four-cylinder engine tuned for fuel efficiency, LX hatchbacks and EX sedans and hatchbacks are equipped with a stronger 164-hp, 2.0-liter direct injection four-cylinder engine, while SX hatchbacks come standard with a 201-hp, 1.6-liter turbocharged four-cylinder powerplant.
A rearview camera is standard on all but the base LX trim, where it's an option. Blind-spot monitoring, lane change assist, and rear cross-traffic alert are optional on the EX and SX. Those systems plus automatic emergency braking, forward collision warning, lane keeping assist, and lane departure warning are optional on S and EX models.
Even the base LX sedan comes with the usual power features plus air conditioning, keyless entry, heated outside mirrors, Bluetooth, and satellite radio. We like the looks and versatility of the hatchback and, with an eye toward value, stick with the LX but kick things up with the Popular Plus Package. Here's how it would look:
- Model: 2018 Kia Forte Hatchback LX
- Engine: 2.0-liter four-cylinder
- Output: 164 hp / 151 lb-ft
- Transmission: Six-speed automatic
- Drivetrain: Front-wheel drive
- MPG: 25 City / 34 Hwy
- Options: Popular Plus Package ($2,000, 7.0-inch touchscreen, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility, keyless push-button start, a rearview camera, cruise control, LED mirror turn signals, automatic headlights, fog lights, LED taillights, 16-inch alloy wheels, a 3.5-inch LCD meter display, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, illuminated visor vanity mirrors, dual map lights, overhead sunglasses holder).
- Base Price:$19,195 (including the $895 destination charge)
- Best Value Price:$21,195