Pricing for the 2018 Kia Soul starts at $16,995 for the base trim equipped with a six-speed manual (a six-speed automatic is $1,600 more) and can exceed $28,000 for an Exclaim model equipped with the optional Technology and Special Edition Packages.
The decision most 2018 Soul buyers will face is choosing between safety and performance. A group of advanced safety features is optional only on Plus models, while the high-spec 1.6-liter turbocharged engine is exclusive to the Exclaim trim. You'll want to avoid the base model and its naturally-aspirated 1.6-liter, which just doesn't offer enough power.
Since even with that extra power the Soul is hardly a speedy corner-carver and safety – for most buyers – trumps performance, we'd pick the Plus trim and spec it out like this:
- Model: 2018 Kia Soul Plus
- Engine: 2.0-liter four-cylinder
- Output: 161 horsepower / 150 lb-ft
- Transmission: Six-speed automatic
- Drivetrain:Front-wheel drive
- Fuel economy: 16 City / 25 Hwy
- Options:Audio Package ($1,500, a larger eight-inch touchscreen, navigation, Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, Harman/Kardon audio system, speaker lights, keyless entry with push-button start, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, leatherette trim with piano black accents), Primo Lit Package ($4,500, automatic emergency braking, forward collision warning, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, rear cross-traffic alert, panoramic sunroof, HID headlights; LED accent lights, tail lights, and high-mounted stop light; leather-trimmed seats, front seats, steering wheel, and rear seats; power driver and front passenger seat, TFT meter display, LED interior lighting).
- Base Price: $21,195 (including an $895 destination fee)
- As Tested: $27,195