The Discovery Sport is based on the same platform as the Range Rover Evoque but adds a useful nine inches of overall length. The new turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four engine (which replaces the previous turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four engine) is available in two states of tune: the standard version makes 237 horsepower and 251 pound-feet of torque, while an available uprated variant spins out 286 hp and 295 lb-ft. The transmission is a nine-speed automatic, and, in proper Land Rover fashion, drive goes to all four wheels. If the ample cargo space – 34.6 cubic feet with the second row upright, 62.75 with it folded – is occasionally inadequate, the Discovery Sport can also tow up to 4,409 pounds of trailer and payload.
Buyers can choose from three trim levels (Land Rover calls them "themes") for the Discovery Sport. The base SE includes partial leather seat covers, rear parking sensors, and power folding side mirrors. The HSE adds xenon headlights as standard, fits full leather seat upholstery, and trades the metal roof panel for a panoramic glass roof. The HSE Luxury sits on 19-inch wheels; inside, navigation and a Meridien sound system with a SiriusXM receiver occupy the center console and a softer grade of leather dresses the seats.
The upgraded fittings may be tempting, especially for a proper and somewhat upscale British motoring vehicle, but, thankfully, the essential highlights – the Terrain Response all-wheel-drive system, the trailer-towing gear, the InControl telematics system – are standard across the board. Our value case for the Discovery Sport starts with the SE and fills in a few preferred items:
- Model: 2018 Land Rover Discovery Sport SE
- Engine: 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder
- Output: 237 hp / 251 lb-ft
- Transmission: Nine-speed automatic
- Drivetrain: All-wheel drive
- Fuel Economy: 21 City / 25 Hwy
- Options: Cold Climate Package ($1,330, heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, heated windscreen), Blind Spot Monitor and Reverse Traffic Detection ($510).
- Base Price: $38,790 (including a $995 destination charge)
- Best Value Price: $40,630