The best value in the Discovery range is with the mid-level HSE trim. While the base level SE trim is well equipped, the HSE adds three-zone climate control, 16-way adjustable front seats, heated front and rear seats, and upgraded lighting. Between the two engine choices, we'd have to go with the 3.0-liter V6 turbodiesel, because it's substantially quicker, it can tow up to 7,700 pounds, it's quieter, and it gets much better fuel economy than the gas engine.
The Seven Seat Package is a must-have as it adds not just two more seats, but air suspension and a two-speed transfer case that's practically required for off-roading. We'd also get the Capability Plus Package for more off-road goodies like a locking rear differential, All Terrain Progress Control, and what Land Rover calls Terrain Response 2, a system that monitors the surface you're driving over and automatically adapts to provide the best traction (it also provides several presets drivers can choose for themselves).
In terms of pure comfort gear, we recommend the $1,275 Cold Climate Package for its heated steering wheel, heated front and rear seats, and heated windshield washer jets. The $565 Drive Package's blind-spot monitoring system and rear cross-traffic alert are a good deal too.
With these options, you can drive to the nearest off-road trail with seven of your friends and laugh at the spartan $41,000 Wrangler Rubicons that are only marginally more capable than the Discovery, all while riding in serene comfort. Who said off-roading had to be difficult, right?
Here's how we'd have the Disco:
- Model: 2018 Land Rover Discover HSE
- Engine: 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6
- Output: 254 hp/ 443 lb-ft
- Transmission: Eight-speed Automatic
- Drivetrain: Four-wheel drive
- MPG: 21 City / 26 Hwy (Speculated)
- Options: 3.0-liter LR-TD6 Diesel ($2,000), Seven Seat Package ($2,195, Seven Seats, Electronic Air Suspension, Two-Speed Transfer Case), Black Exterior Package ($310), Capability Plus Package ($1,275, Active Locking Rear Differential, Terrain Response 2, All Terrain Progress Control), Cold Climate Package ($1,275, heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, heated washer jets), Drive Package ($565, Drive Condition Monitor, blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert, traffic sign recognition)
- Base Price:$61,485 (including $995 destination charge)
- Best Value Price:$65,520