With a new 2019 model waiting in the wings, pricing for the 2018 CLS-Class begins with the CLS 550, powered by a 402-horsepower, 4.7-liter twin turbocharged V8 mated to a nine-speed automatic transmission, available in either rear- or all-wheel drive, at a base price of $76,145, and can easily climb to over $150,000 for a fully-optioned AWD AMG CLS 63, which is equipped with a 577-hp, 5.5-liter V8 matched with a seven-speed automatic.
The typical power features are present, plus LED headlights and taillights, keyless entry with push-button start, dual-zone automatic climate control, leather seats (memory, lumbar, powered and heated up front), steering wheel paddle shifters, a moonroof, ambient lighting, adaptive air suspension, Bluetooth, and eight-inch infotainment screen. Standard active safety features include a rearview camera, pre-collision warning, automatic emergency braking, adaptive brake assist, and attention assist.
Since the AMG trim is an exercise in overkill, we'd opt for the CLS 550, choose the 4Matic for all-season driving, and toss in a number of optional safety features. Here's how we'd build it:
- Model: 2018 Mercedes-Benz CLS 550 4Matic
- Engine: 4.7-liter twin turbocharged V8
- Output: 402 hp / 443 lb-ft
- Transmission:Nine-speed automatic
- Fuel Economy: 17 City / 25 Hwy
- Options: Driver Assistance Package ($2,250, adaptive cruise control, steering assist, automatic emergency braking, pedestrian recognition, rear-end collision detection with front seat occupant crash preparation, blind-spot monitoring, lane keeping assist, front cross-traffic alert and pedestrian detection), Heated Steering Wheel ($250), Split-Folding Rear Seats ($440).
- Base Price: $78,645 (including a $995 destination charge)
- Best Value Price: $81,585