The first decision for A5 buyers is body style. This generation of A5 is just as alluring as the last, and the convertible offers that special roof-down experience (as long as you can cough up the extra cash). But our surprise winner in the looks department is the A5 Sportback, which combines the coupe’s sinewy roofline with the A4’s doors and a rear liftgate.
Luckily, the Sportback is the most practical of the three as well, which makes for an easy win-win. Even better, it’s the exact same price as the coupe, so it’s a great value.
The next question is trim. Although the base Premium trim is reasonably luxurious (leather upholstery, panoramic sunroof, three-zone climate control, etc.), with the Sportback, it’s worth upgrading to the Premium Plus. For $4,400 more, you get Audi’s beautiful and functional 12.3-inch driver display, extra safety features like blind-spot monitoring, tech goodies like wireless charging and navigation, keyless entry, and a hands-free liftgate.
Although Audi’s options list is long, we’d keep things simple. Our ideal A5 looks like this:
- Model:2019 Audi A5 Sportback Premium Plus
- Engine:2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder
- Output:248 hp / 273 lb-ft
- Transmission:Seven-speed dual-clutch automatic
- Drivetrain: All-wheel drive
- Fuel Economy:23 City / 34 Hwy
- Base Price:$49,595 (including the $995 destination charge)
- Best Value Price:$49,595