It’s easy to let price get out of control in BMW’s configurator – even exterior colors other than black or white cost extra – so we’d try to keep things relatively basic. An X1 sDrive28i should be enough for most buyers, and adding all-wheel drive would be a pricey $2,000.
Instead, we'd add the $2,500 Convenience package for some important features.The X1’s seats feel too flat for long trips, so we’d cough up enough for sport seats (and heat them while we’re at it). It’s definitely worth swapping out the run-flat tires for conventional rubber, although BMW will require you to buy a spare for $150.
So equipped, our X1 still sneaks in under $40,000:
- Model:2019 BMW X1 sDrive28i
- Engine:2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder
- Output:228 hp / 258 lb-ft
- Transmission:Eight-speed automatic
- Drivetrain: Front-wheel drive
- Fuel Economy:23 City / 32 Hwy
- Options:Convenience Package ($2,500, auto-dimming mirrors, keyless entry, XM radio, universal garage opener, ambient lighting, lumbar support, power-folding side mirrors, panoramic moonroof), Heated Front Seats and Steering Wheel ($550), Sport Seats ($400), Space-saver Spare ($150)
- Base Price:$35,945 (after the $995 destination fee)
- Best Value Price: $39,545