It would be nice if the lower trims of the Regal could offer genuine value. Sadly, the features are so restricted that they’re hard to recommend. The base trim is only available in white or silver, and even the next trim up only adds a single power-adjustable seat. Active safety tech isn’t even available until the uppermost trims.
Instead, to get the most of the Regal’s package, it’s worth stepping all the way up to the Essence trim. At this level, the car comes with leather upholstery and a heated front row, along with useful upgrades like a larger infotainment screen, remote start, and a digital driver information display.
The Essence trim is also the first to open up the best safety tech, which comes in the form of the Driver Confidence II package. It’s worth adding along with the general upgrades in the Driver Confidence I Package, but these bring features that more brands are including as standard. In another frustrating move, Buick charges $395 extra for any exterior color other than white.
Still, even with both Driver Confidence packages and an exterior with a little personality, the Regal Essence checks in under $36,000. That’s hefty compared to a mainstream model like the Honda Accord, but compared to the luxury imports that the Regal has in its sights, it’s solid value.
Ours looks like this:
- Model: 2019 Buick Regal Sportback Essence
- Engine: 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder
- Output: 250 hp / 260 lb-ft
- Transmission:Nine-speed automatic
- Drivetrain: Front-wheel drive
- Fuel Economy:22 City / 32 Hwy
- Options: Metallic Paint ($395), Driver Confidence Package I ($1,580, power lumbar adjustment, seat memory settings, heated and powered side mirrors, wireless charging, cornering and auto-leveling LED headlights, rear park assist, rear cross-traffic alert, blind-spot monitoring, lane change alert), Driver Confidence Package II ($1,090, adaptive cruise control, following distance indicator, forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, lane keeping assist, pedestrian detection)
- Base Price:$32,695 (including the $925 destination charge)
- Best Value Price:$35,760