The new and fearsome AMG GLC 63 is a little too brutal for us, but its little sibling the AMG GLC 43 is a sweetheart. The twin-turbocharged V6 lends accessible power, and the sharper steering makes for a more enjoyable driving experience.
Sadly, it also means coughing up an extra $15,000, so it’s not stellar value. Most buyers will be content with the base-level GLC 300, which still has plenty of oomph in the form of a 241-horsepower, 2.0-liter turbocharged engine. The Coupe body is edgier, but mostly less useful, so we’d stick with the traditional SUV.
The GLC 300 doesn’t go light on luxury either, boasting heated front seats, push-button start, dual-zone automatic climate control, and wood trim. A package or two helps round out the features, but we resent paying extra for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, and the best active safety features have far too many prerequisites.
We’d build ours like so:
- Model: 2019 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300 4MATIC
- Engine: 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder
- Output: 241 hp / 273 lb-ft
- Transmission: Nine-speed automatic
- Drivetrain: All-wheel drive
- MPG: 22 City / 27 Hwy
- Options: Premium Package ($1,250, blind-spot monitoring, keyless entry, XM radio), Smartphone Integration Package ($350, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility)
- Base Price: $43,695 (including a $995 destination fee)
- Best Value Price:$45,295