Cayenne trims are only there to give you a choice of how fast you want to go. As much as we'd love to have the insane 550-horsepower twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V8 that comes in the Cayenne Turbo, most customers will be very well served with the mid-grade Cayenne S and its 440-hp twin-turbocharged 2.9-liter V6. The Cayenne S also offers a standard panoramic sunroof, which adds some nice natural light to the cabin.
Like most Porsches, the Cayenne can be configured in an almost infinite number of permutations, and if Porsche could make having a driver's seat an option, they probably would. You can nearly double the price of the vehicle if you aren't careful. Keeping that in mind, we'd spring for the Premium Plus Package which is pricey, but adds a bunch of very desirable extras like 14-way power ventilated front seats, heaters for the front and rear seats, four-zone automatic climate control, a Bose sound system, adaptive LED headlights, and lane change assist. The premium interiors look very nice, but we'd save some coin by going with the standard interior in Black/Mojave Beige. The Cayenne's performance packages and options are all very tempting, but they're also very expensive. We'd stick with just the adaptive air suspension and the Sport Chrono Package, which make the SUV even faster while giving you additional driving modes to suit your moods.
For individual options, we're tempted by the soft-close doors, which add an element of luxury you never knew you needed. In the same vein, the thermally and noise insulated glass goes a long way in making you feel coddled. There's so much else we'd love to add to our hypothetical Cayenne, but this is the "Best Value" section after all, and we're trying to keep it somewhat reasonable.
- Model: 2019 Porsche Cayenne S
- Engine: 2.9-liter twin-turbocharged V6
- Output: 440 hp / 406 lb-ft
- Transmission: Eight-speed automatic
- Drivetrain: All-wheel drive
- Fuel Economy: Not Yet Rated
- Options: Premium Plus Package ($7,330, 14-way Power Seat with Memory Package, heated front and rear seats, ventilated front seats, four-Zone automatic climate control, LED adaptive headlights, auto-dimming mirrors, Bose audio system, lane change assist, keyless entry, ambient lighting), Standard Interior in Black/Mojave Beige ($390), Soft Close Doors ($780), Adaptive Air Suspension incl. Porsche Active Suspension Management ($2,170), Sport Chrono Package ($1,130, stopwatch, additional driving modes, launch control, expansion of Porsche Stability Management), Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass ($1,130).
- Base Price: $83,950 (including a $1,050 destination charge)
- Best Value Price: $96,880