How to Fill Out an Application for Title or Registration Form

January 27, 2012

An application for title or registration form is required for vehicles being registered for the first time, as well as for the vehicles which go through a change of ownership. The different states have different formats for their application for title and registration forms. Still, they can be filled in the same way. Here is a look at how to fill out an application for title or registration form.

Vehicle Information

The first thing to be filled in is the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or the Hull Identification Number as well as the make of the vehicle.

The Owner's Information

Then the name of the Lessor, the Lessee and the Business' name is to be filled in, followed by the lessor/lessee's Driver License Number or ID number. Then the residence or business address has to be filled in, complete with the apartment number, the name of the city, the state and the zip code. If the Lessee Address and the Mailing Address are different, these also have to be filled in. If the vehicle is a trailer coach, the trailer's location has to be filled in.

Title Holder's Information

The title holder's name, whether it's a bank, a finance company or an individual has to filled in. Then the title holder's Electronic Title Number has to be filled in. The title owner's business or residence address must be written in, complete with the apartment number, the name of the city, state and zip code. The title holder's mailing address, city, state and zip code also have to be filled in the form. This condition only applies when the mailing address is not the same as the business or residential address.

Fill in the Cost and Operation Information

The next thing to be filled in is the cost and the operation information, including the number of miles at the time of registration, the date of purchase or acquisition of the vehicle and the purpose for which the vehicle is to be used. However, the cost does not include the money paid for the insurance, sales tax, warranty or finance charges.

The Owner's Signature

The vehicle's owner then has to sign in the designated area, along with the date and his or her telephone number.

The Owner's Second Signature

The owner has to sign a second time along with the date as well as the telephone number.

Recheck the Vehicle Information

The vehicle information filled in the application form should be same as on the title. A mistake can cause the application to be rejected. The vehicle identification number has to be matched with the one given on the vehicle's door or the dashboard. 

Verify Proper Assignation of the title

The title should be properly assigned to the buyer from the seller. The assignment area should have the same buyer's name as the application.

Odometer Reading Certification

The odometer reading should be properly certified and mentioned properly on the back side of the title, along with the date of sale.

Vehicle Tax Details

Some states require a vehicle tax to be paid between the sellers and the buyers. The tax amount has to be calculated according to the vehicle model for a selling price lower than $15,000. For a higher price, the tax is to be calculated according to the selling price, itself.

Temporary Registration Permit

If a Temporary Registration Permit (TRP) has been issued, its details also have to be filled in the application for title or registration form.

Related Questions and Answers

Am I Required to Always Have the DMV Registration Card in My Car?

While different states have varied regulations regarding DMV registration card usage, there are some general rules that are related more to security. Check with your local police department or DMV to find out the rules regarding possession of your DMV registration. Security experts suggest that should your car be stolen and the DMV registration is in the car, it's easier for a thief to register your vehicle illegally. For that reason, if your state doesn't require it be carried in the car, put it in a safe place elsewhere. For those states that require it, carry it on your person rather than in the glove box.Can I Get a Car Title on an Abandoned Vehicle?

There is no one method to get a title for an abandoned vehicle. Like most vehicle requirements, the laws vary from state to state. In some states, like California, it's virtually impossible to title an abandoned vehicle. In other states, there are specific rules in place. Generally, though, a lot depends on the legal status of the vehicle. If the vehicle is currently registered, it will have one status. If it's been registered as a salvage or junk vehicle, it will have another status. The best procedure is to contact the local police department or DMV for options regarding a title on an abandoned vehicle.Is there a Fee for Replacing a Lost DMV Title Form?

There are variations in the fees for replacing a DMV lost title form. Like nearly all laws regarding registrations of vehicles in the United States, laws vary from state to state in regards to getting a replacement title for one that has been lost. Fees vary everywhere, but that's not the only level on which there are variants. The whole procedure of ordering and receiving a replacement title will vary from state to state. Check with the local Department of Motor Vehicles office for details or check on the web. The DMV website should outline the procedures and fees.Where to Get a Car Registration Sticker?

The rules on where to get a registration sticker, like most motor vehicle rules, vary from state to state. In addition, particular circumstances will determine the procedure. For instance, a renewal might have different options for a first time registration or replacing a lost or stolen sticker. The Department of Motor Vehicles for each state should outline the procedures and any fees involved. In addition, DMV offices generally can provide the information. Depending on the state laws, there might be banks, stores or license transfer companies who can provide registration stickers for cars. It all depends on the state.

Privacy Terms of Use Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information Disclaimer Cookie Policy Manage Preferences
COPYRIGHT 1999-2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba